Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Statement of UN Special Coordinator Plumbly following meeting with Prime Minister Tamam Salam

Beirut, Lebanon
Tuesday, 15 July 2014
I just had a very good meeting with Prime Minister Tamam Salam.  We talked about the situation in Lebanon and the region.
Among the issues discussed were recent developments in the south. I expressed my concern and the concern of the United Nations over the firing of rockets from south Lebanon into Israel on four occasions during the past few days followed by Israeli retaliatory fire into Lebanon. These are clear violations of resolution 1701 and pose a serious threat to the calm which has prevailed in the area, and to stability more generally. UNIFIL is working closely with the Lebanese Armed Forces to investigate the incidents and to prevent their recurrence. I take this opportunity to call on all concerned to exercise restraint and to cooperate with UNIFIL in implementation of resolution 1701 to prevent their recurrence and any escalation.  I can also relay from my discussions with the Prime Minister the importance and attention he personally attaches to that.
 
I also briefed the Prime Minister on my discussions in New York last week including the Security Council consultations on the implementation of resolution 1701. The clear message from the consultations was that the Council remains united in its support for Lebanon's sovereignty, territorial integrity and security. There was strong support for the Prime Minister and his government but also deepening concern at the continued vacancy in the presidency. As I said in New York, Lebanon needs a functioning presidency, government and Parliament. Given the threats and the challenges facing the country, this is more and more evident.